Know yourself It is a sentence that appeared in the sanctuary of Apollo in Delphi. It has become popular in its Latin form as Nosce te ipsum.
In this article We offer you some introspective keys to reflect on you and help you ask the right questions so you know who you really are.
The reality is that we completely ignore each other. Most people live outside their own inner reality, which often leads to errors and vital crises. In fact, it seems that we want to compensate for that lack of depth by living "outward". That is, letting ourselves be carried away by materialism and hedonism, the body, the physical and the earthly.
However, on many occasions we see that to find the Holy Grail of happiness and life satisfaction, often a person must make a journey towards self-knowledge. Embrace the Universe within oneself. As an old classic saying said: "Know yourself and you will know everything".
Know yourself through these keys
1. What am I?
- A human being, not one thing. I am a subject, not an object. Therefore free, with volitional ability and to discern. In the same way, with the necessary resources to undertake actions and modify my immediate environment.
- I am a rational being. Therefore, I am endowed with reason. My thinking can translate into concrete ideas and representations.
- A symbolic being. We all interpret our reality symbolically. We all chase myths, dreams. What archetype do you pursue consciously or unconsciously?
- I am a sexed being, man or woman, but that integrates elements of both sexes in his being: Mood Y Mood
- A conscious being, also endowed with self-consciousness (he knows of his own existence). We all ask ourselves transcendental questions about ourselves and the reality that surrounds us
- I am an emotional being, expressive, who wants to know and understand the Universe
2. How am I?
You must ask yourself what are you made of, what are the elements that make up your personal reality.
- You are a triadic being with three planes, which are: Body, Soul and Spirit
- The soul (Psyche) is also triadically conformed: Memory, Intelligence and Will
In the human essence it is imbued in the essence of the natural and the supernatural; The absolute and the relative. What is the latter?
- Absolute represents the infinite and eternal, the Being, the transcendent, the essence
- Relative it represents the temporary, the perishable, the conditioned, the phenomenological
The Spirit is the deepest of the Being; It is your center, your most sacred core. On the contrary, the physical and the psychological is the superficial, the volatile.
As for the personal self, we have:
- The Great Me: which is your real self; that is, the spiritual, transcendent and eternal
- The ego: It's your fake me. It is small, illusory, ephemeral, nothing reliable
One of the greatest tragedies of our time is that many people do not know how to distinguish between the real I and the false I. And, what is worse, many identify and define themselves under the false I. They are people who don't know each other, are superficial and live outward. There is a Viking saying that says:
The less internal the person is, the more external his life becomes. The more people lose their inner part, the more extravagant are their external manifestations, and so will their government, laws and worship (they will emerge as separate ideas)
3. Where am I?
I am within the Creation, of a Universal Order. Therefore, I am part of the cosmos. I am a microcosm. Know yourself With these questions: Why am I here? Who has brought me to this world?
You must know that there is a place for you in this Cosmic Order. However, you must find your position within it. Therefore, you must remember that the Cosmos is present in you, and that you have to live in harmony with it.
You have to keep in mind, in the good times and in the moments of weakness that you are part of humanity. And as such you occupy, together with others, a central position in existence, for the human being is the intermediary between God and the World. Therefore, the human being has the mission of universal service.
4. What is my way of being? Because I'm so?
You must ask yourself:
- How is my personality configured and what elements make it up?
- How am I in the present? How was it in the past? Finally, how will I be in the future?
- What should I do to be as I should?
You have to know about two fundamental realities: Your person and your life. You have to worry about knowing and working both aspects. On the other hand, you have to be who you are and who you are called to be. To do this, consider the following facets:
- Temperament: inherited part of the personality
- Character: part of the personality forged in the interaction with the environment
- Vocation: what attracts you and excites you
- Aptitudes: what you do best
- Attitudes: your willingness to act
- Training, culture, instruction
- Mindset or worldview
- Personal introspection: how I see myself
- Surrounding analysis: how I see my context and others
5. Know yourself by asking yourself: How am I here? What is my role in all this?
For the human being, who is an itinerant being in this world world, nothing is definitive. Change is the only constant in life. However, we all follow a path, but: Where does the path you are following lead? What is the path you should follow?
The fundamental question is that you have to find your own path and, if this does not exist, make it. Luckily or unfortunately no one can walk the path for you. However, it is not as terrible as it seems. After all, everyone has to do it sooner or later.
Now ask yourself:
- Where do I come from?
- Where I go?
- What have I come to do in life?
Your mission is your way. You must bear in mind that you come from Eternity and go to Eternity. Therefore, being one with God (good, Being, the way) is your ultimate goal. You come from the Self and tend towards the Self. Life is the search for Being.
Your life is your own project
Above all, You have to find your vocation and your destiny:
- What do you want to do with your life
- What and how do you want to be
- How do you want to live
- Towards what goals you will direct your life
6. Who am I?
The fundamental objective here is to discover your own identity, your true essence, your nature. You can start asking it through these questions:
- Who am i really
- What Being is behind my name, my body
- Who is the individual who is now reading these lines
- What makes me the way I am
- What makes me alive
- What or who keeps me alive and in what sense
Nosce te ipsum et nosces universum et deos: Know yourself and you will know the universe and the gods.
Medrano, A. (1996).Tao's light. Yatay
Medrano, A. (2002).The path of honor. Yatay
Medrano, A. (1996).Magic and mystery of leadership: the art of living in a world in crisis. Yatay